!f Istanbul – Screenwriters Lab
The !f Istanbul Screenwriters Lab, organized in association with the Sundance Institute, one of the world's leading creative hotbeds of independent film, is a unique process that allows for up to four emerging Turkish writer-directors to receive one-on-one screenplay development guidance from well-known industry mentors each year. Additionally, it hosts up to three regional filmmakers developing their first or second projects, by invitation only.
Launched in 2011, our vision is to support the development of original stories for the screen. Working in this region at a time of great upheaval and change, we are particularly interested in projects that challenge conventional narratives and give voice to under-represented stories. Lab Advisors in the past have included Naomi Foner, Howard Rodman, Rose Troche, Dante Harper, DV DeVincentis, Zachary Sklar, Jeremy Pikser, Athina Rachel Tsangiri, Yesim Ustaoglu, Reha Erdem, Ümit Ünal, Barış Pirhasan, and many more.
We are proud to have supported some of the most exciting young filmmakers working in this region today, including Deniz Gamze Ergüven, Yiannis Veslemes, Rinio Dragasaki, Yonatan Dekel, Ceylan Özgün, Mehmet Can Mertoğlu, Nehir Tuna, and many more.
We thank the Açık Toplum Foundation & Paul Federbush, International Director of the Feature Film Program at the Sundance Institute for their support.
The !f Screenwriters Lab will be held between May 12-16, 2017.
Previous participants of the !f Istanbul Lab:
- Emre Kayiş / Anatolian Leopard (Anadolu Leoparı)
- Melisa Üneri / The Only Slut Around (YIRTIK!)
- Pınar Yorgancıoğlu / Ghosts of April (Baharın Gölgeleri)
- Hadas Ben Aroya / Nymphie
- Ihab Jadallah / Desert Dogs
- Omar Al Zohairy & Ahmed Amer / Feathers of a Father
- Esra Saydam / Soytarı (Clown is Down)
- Ali Vatansever / Saf
- Nehir Tuna / Yurt (Dormitory)
- Jonathan Dekel / Checkout
- Tolga Karaçelik / Kelebekler (Butterflies)
- Burcu Aykar / Eksik Bir Şey (Something Missing)
- Hacı Orman & Sedat Yılmaz / Sorgu (Interrogation)
- Emma Doxiadi / What a Silly Boy
- Rinio Dragassaki / Membrane
- Barış Sarhan / Cemil Şov (Cemil Show)
- Ceyda Aşar / Küçük Bir Hata (Failure)
- Ülkü Oktay / Kendi Aramızda (A History of Women)
- Alexandros Chantzis / Duft & Bassenauer
- Yiannis Veslemes / Cosmic Candy
- Mehmet Can Mertoğlu / Albüm (The Cliff Shore)
- Şirin Güven, Aysim Türkmen / Çekmeköy Underground (Ruin)
- Emine Dursun, Hakan Günday & Hande Güzide Türkel / Az (Derda)
- Ceylan Özgün Özçelik / Kaygı (Based on a True Nightmare)
- Zeynep Dadak, Merve Kayan / Mavi Dalga (The Blue Wave)
- Deniz Gamze Ergüven / Krallar (Kings)
- Erol Mintaş / Annemin Şarkısı (My Mother’s Song)
- Senem Tüzen / Ana Yurdu (Mother Land)
- Zeynel Doğan, Orhan Eskiköy / Babamın Sesi (Voice of My Father)
- Melisa Önel / Kumun Tadı (Seaburners)
- Nesimi Yetik / Toz Ruhu (Oasis)
- Aslı Özge / Hayatboyu (Lifelong)